Press - Strasburg Steampunk 2016
Steampunk unLimited 2016 at Strasburg Rail Road
Three-day Festival Celebrating
All Things Steampunk Oct. 14-16
Strasburg, PA (August 2016) – Strasburg Rail Road is scheduled to host its fourth annual Steampunk unLimited event Oct. 14 -16. This three-day festival is an immersive experience into Steampunk culture, including musical entertainment, fashion, sideshows, vendors, authors, historians, food, a Victorian Ball and more, all against the backdrop of the full-steam adventure of America’s oldest short line railroad.
Strasburg Rail Road, with its restored Victorian rail cars, historic charm of the station, and allure of its majestic steam engine trains, is the perfect location for what has become a must-attend event for Steampunk enthusiasts.
Festivities kick off Friday, Oct. 14 at 6 p.m. and continue Saturday, Oct. 15 from 11 a.m. – 11 p.m., and Sunday, Oct.16 from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Ticket packages include a three-day pass and two-day pass available in advance; a one-day pass available in advance and on site; and add-on attractions, some of which are available at a discount to Steampunk pass holders.
Steampunk unLimited is truly an all-sensory experience for enthusiasts and general visitors alike. Steampunk is an artistic subgenre of science fiction/fantasy that incorporates technology, gadgetry, and costume designs inspired by 19th century industrial steam-powered machinery, but in an imagined futuristic setting. Steampunk fans dress in retro-futuristic attire, and hallmarks of the fashion style include Victorian, old west, or goth-inspired clothing that frequently features accessories like eyeglasses, corsets, hats, canes, and umbrellas, as well as jewelry-like metalwork that incorporates brass, clock parts, and gears.
Some fans of this edgy and emerging subculture create faux weaponry or mechanical components with fantastical elements that are often handmade using unusual, upcycled components. Some purchase clothing, or use thrift store finds, and then embellish the garments. But don’t think cheap crafts. Attire and accessories made and worn by many Steampunk faithful are elaborate and realistic enough to be worthy of costume design awards. Part of the fun of Steampunk events, participants say, is people adopting the personas inspired by their clothing and surroundings.
Live musical entertainment during Steampunk unLimited features Abney Park, The Slambovian Circus of Dreams (new), Frenchy and the Punk, This Way to the Egress, Eli August (performing solo), and The Positronic Cats (new). Entertainment includes vaudeville acts; Steampunk puppeteer J.P. Porter; and Professor Mark P. Donnelly, Steampunk author and historian, who will share his wit and wisdom through entertaining trivia and demonstrations.
New this year is “Escape the Train.” Strasburg Rail Road partnered with Escape Room Lancaster to offer this interactive experience modeled after the mystery puzzle escape-the-room craze. Trains are scheduled Oct. 14 at 6 p.m., 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. and Oct. 15 at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tickets are $30 and limited to eight-12 per train, so book ahead. Participants will get instructions in the Waiting Room, board the exquisite President’s Car, and then must work together to decipher clues and escape within one hour.
Other major attractions that are included in Steampunk unLimited (depending on ticket package) are:
- Dexter Trip Thrill Show, which includes juggling, ladder stunts, trained dogs, and more, Oct. 14.
- Eric Hershey’s Country Conjuring, Oct. 14.
- Pyrophoric’s live fire show is the finale for opening night Friday, Oct. 14.
ADD ONE: STRASBURG RAIL ROAD’S STEAMPUNK unLIMITED OCT. 14 – 16
- Steampunk Fashion Show, a juried show on Saturday, Oct. 15, 11 a.m. to noon.
- Steampunk Victorian Ball, where participants will learn to Waltz, Quadrille, and Virginia Reel to period music in Steampunk unLimited entertainment tent, Saturday, Oct. 15, 4:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Miracle Elixir Side Show, an old-fashioned medicine show, Oct. 15 and 16.
- Steampunk self-defense demonstration from Mark P. Donnelly, award-winning author, historian, screenwriter and television producer. Learn about Edison, the western martial arts revival and a slew of Steampunk and Victorian tidbits, Oct. 15 and 16.
- Vendors featuring Steampunk jewelry, clothing, art, crafts, music, books and more, Oct. 15 and 16.
- Steampunk authors include Pip Ballantine, Tee Morris, Dylan Mahaffey, Katherine McIntyre, Oct. 15 and 16.
- Back to the Future DeLorean replica photo opportunities, Oct. 15 and 16.
- Steam traction engine demonstrations, Oct. 15 and 16.
Steampunk add-on tickets, including food experiences:
- Steampunk Wine & Cheese Train, Oct. 14 at 6 p.m., $36, ages 21 and over.
- Paranormal to Paradise Train (new), Oct. 14 at 8 p.m., $20. Choose from tea leaf reading, fortune telling, or mind reading train cars. (Friday or Friday-Sunday ticket holders can call 717.687.8421 to purchase for $10.) High Tea 101, 8 p.m., $34, includes High Tea and an educational lesson on teas.
- Beirzug (new), Oct. 14 at 10 p.m., $20. Choose from Dining Car, Lounge, or the Supranatural Pub Quiz aboard the Parlor Car. Includes train ride, one beer and a pretzel. Additional available for purchase. Steampunk ticket holders can call to purchase for $10 discount.
- Absinthe Cocktail Tasting, First-Class Car, Saturday, Oct. 15 at 6 p.m., $38 ages 21 and over.
- High Tea featuring savory and sweet treats on Henry K. Long Car, Oct. 15 and 16 at noon and 2 p.m., $34.
- Victorian Murder Mystery Dinner Train, Oct. 14, 15 and 16 at 6 p.m. $62 adult, $42 children.
- Meet Frenchy and the Punk, Oct. 16 at noon in the Parlor Car, $22.
Steampunk ticket packages include the three-day pass $56 adults, $40 children 2 and older; Saturday-Sunday pass $46 adults, $30 children 2 and older; Friday only pass $20; Saturday only pass $40; and Sunday only pass $30. Includes full access to events, activities, music and entertainment listed on designated days. See the Steampunk unLimited ticket packages Web page for details.
Attendees do not have to dress in Steampunk gear. Regular attractions will also operate during Steampunk unLimited.
For more information and to purchase Steampunk unLimited tickets, visit http://strasburgrailroad.com/steampunk or call 717.687-7522. And don’t forget to RSVP to the Steampunk unLimited event on Facebook.
About Strasburg Rail Road
Strasburg Rail Road is one of Pennsylvania’s leading family attractions and is home to museum quality, working, turn-of-the century steam locomotives, freight cars, dining cars, private cars and one of the largest fleets of historic wooden passenger cars in the world. Founded in 1832, Strasburg Rail Road also holds the unique distinction as being America’s oldest short line railroad. Other fun activities include rides on the miniature Pint-Sized Pufferbelly steam train, the authentic Pump Car, Cranky Car, LO&S, and a behind-the-scenes tour to see steam engines being built, restored and refurbished.
For more information on Strasburg Rail Road or to purchase tickets, please visit www.strasburgrailroad.com, or call 717.687.7522